Please note: the following refers to our exhibition held in March 2018 and is retained on our website for historical interest only. Please check out our 2019 Exhibition Category list here.
Theme: Hawke’s Bay Captured
Categories: Land, Movement, Open, People, Structures, Things that Grow, Water
Prizes: Cash prizes of $250 for best in each category. Prizes also for Best in Exhibition, People’s Choice, Best of the Backroom and a Special Mystery prize
Receiving day is Sunday 18 March, 1-
BWR Scholarship: The BWR scholarship with Helen Dynes for two artists will be held on Tuesday 20 March & Wednesday 21 March. Closing date is Sunday 10 March.
Workshop: An artists’ workshop with Helen Dynes will be held from 10.30am on Saturday 24 March. Places are limited and there is a fee (to be prepaid).
We invite sculpture artists to submit an entry to the MCL Art Hawke’s Bay Exhibition being held 22-
There is a prize of $250 for the winner of the sculpture section.
The sculpture may be on any subject but we encourage sculptors to have a reference to Hawke’s Bay if possible.
Entry is limited to one per person, with the dimensions of the work to be no greater than 750mm x 500mm x 1800mm high. They can of course be smaller.
Please email your expression of interest to Sheryl Eustace at ***** before 5 March 2018.
After this, please send images of 3 sides of the sculpture to Sheryl at ***** no later than 8 March 2018.
Initial selection will be made from these images. The final selection and winner will be judged at the venue by our guest selector.
You will be asked to bring your sculpture to the venue (Cheval Rooms at the Hastings Racecourse) on Sunday 18 March at 3pm.
You will be notified by 20 March if your sculpture has been selected.
The entry fee is $10.00.
We invite Hawke’s Bay secondary school art teachers to select a work by one student from each school as an entry for the Schools Category. There will be a prize of $250 for the winner of this category.
- Entry in the Student Exhibition is free.
- One art work per school to be submitted.
- The art work may be of any topic/subject. Hawke’s Bay related work is preferred to fit the theme of the exhibition.
- The art work is to be of medium size (due to restricted space) and ready for hanging.
- The art work is to be selected by the school’s art department.
- Students may display a price on works for sale. A commission will be taken on items sold as per the other exhibition entries – please refer to the Terms & Conditions.
The exhibition will run from 5.30pm Wednesday 21 March to 6pm Sunday 25 March 2018.
- Drop-off time and place for works will be arranged to suit each school as some have a distance to travel.
- On opening night each school that has submitted a work will be given two free entry tickets: one for the student and one for the art teacher.