Dannevirke Art Society
- Dannevirke Art Society has a current membership of around 50 members, of which about half are active members. The Society owns its own clubrooms at 34 McPhee Street, in conjunction with the Dannevirke Spinners Club rooms on the same property.
- Formed about 1961, the club hosts an annual Art Show in October each year. This year our Art Exhibition starts with an opening evening on 10 October from 5.30 to 7.30pm and then daily from 10am to 4pm from 11 Oct to Sunday 19 Oct. We would love to have you visit our exhibition.
- Club Activities include hosting visiting tutors, the popular “Paris Art Day” where members work and exhibit in the main street of Town and the annual post Exhibition Dinner, with the years’ activities concluded with an annual Christmas Party.
Hastings Artists Group Inc.
- This group started in January 2013. There are currently about 50 members, and the intention of the group is to provide meeting opportunities for artistically minded people, and to provide artistic encouragement and interest.
- The group has a variety of monthly and weekly meetings, designed to gather all members together regularly, and also to provide work sessions at different existing venues where members can work together, depending on their preferred medium.
- New members are welcome.
- Wendy Rogers 021 0853 4085
- Dorothy Newnman. 06 87 68434
- Humanity Painters are a group of local artists coming from right across Hawke’s Bay to meet weekly at the upstairs studio of Humanity Books and Fine Art Supplies in Hastings.
- The group is organised and run by painter and tutor Helen Kerridge and has about 70 members ranging in age from 14 to 88+.
- The main focus is acrylic painting although there is also life drawing and mixed media.
- Every year the group holds a two week exhibition at Hastings Community Art Centre in Russell Street which is a huge success showcasing work of a professional standard.
- Helen Kerridge: 06 845 3438
- The group meets in the Frank Bacon Studio in Keirunga Gardens. Entry is via 6 Pufflett Rd, Havelock Nth.
- The basis of the Keirunga Artists activity is varied weekly programmes where members can attend any or all of the group sessions.
- One or two day workshops, with local and out of town tutors, are offered throughout the year.
- Club Days, where members learn from each other, are also offered.
- Two selected exhibitions of work are held each year, one in the Havelock North Community Centre and the other in the Frank Bacon Studio in Keirunga Gardens, or other venue.
- The studio is equipped with easels, a printing press, photo copier and audio visual equipment, but members provide their own art materials.
- There is also an extensive library of art related books available to members.
- President – Richard Moorhead: firstname.lastname@example.org
Napier Arts Club Inc.
- We meet at 122 Vigor Brown Street, Napier from 10 am Monday, Wednesday and Thursday & Wednesday evening from 5.30 pm.
- Tuesday Afternoons between 2 pm to 4 pm a Life Drawing Group operates in 6-week blocks with 4-week breaks. A $10.00 model’s fee is due from each club member attending, while non-members pay $20.00 per session. Contact Derrick Mills for details.
- The Gallery is open for viewing when the club rooms are in use.
- Core activities are: regular group meetings, workshops, in-house exhibitions and opportunities to exhibit at other venues.
- In addition to work areas, the club has a framing workroom and an excellent library of books and DVDs.
- Clubrooms are available 24/7 to members unless a workshop or courses are taking place.
- Our Mission Statement: The club seeks to encourage and assist people in the community to develop and expand their artistic skills in various media. To provide a pleasant workshop and gallery environment. To facilitate the exchange of ideas and techniques. To conduct a variety of short courses by respected local artists at minimal rates for members.
- President – Derrick J. Mills: 06 844 4066
- Vice President – Dawn Harvey: 06 844 6702
Porangahau Arts Group
- Porangahau Arts Group is a group of crafts people of about 50 members working in one or more of the following pursuits: patchwork, quilting, ceramics, wool, embroidery, gardening and painting. We have 10 members who are active painters.
- The club was formed in the late 70’s moving around a variety of locations from woolsheds to club houses – but is now settled at the Porangahau Country Club at the beach.
- Our aim is to enjoy, improve and encourage others to discover the joys of craft work.
- We hold an annual exhibition in late July and an auction in January at Porangahau Country Club. We have sales at the Chapelwick Spring Fair. We also held an exhibition at Russell Street, Hastings in January 2011.
- Olive Bremer: 06 855 5342
Otane Art & Crafts group
- The Arts and Crafts Corner Otane Inc. was established in 1970 by a group of locals who wanted to save the old Otane School from demolition and to create a centre for people to learn and exhibit various arts and crafts.
- At present there are five groups including herb & garden, mosaic, patchwork & embroidery, wool, and the art group.
- The Otane Art Group has approximately 30 members ranging from beginners to more experienced artists.
- The group meets each Wednesday from 10 am until 2 pm to work on personal projects while a portrait group meets every Friday from 10 am to 12 pm, drawing from a live model.
- Occasional workshops are held throughout the year and sometimes the group will travel to exhibitions together and sketch plein air. The more knowledgeable artists are always on hand to encourage and critique if required.
- The Arts and Crafts Corner Otane hold their annual exhibition over Queen’s Birthday weekend and a working Open Weekend in November where the public can see members working at their art.
- We are a friendly and supportive group of artists. Even though we have assorted views and opinions we all accept each other’s differences with a sense of humour.
- Karen Pallesen: 027 686 7813
St Matthew’s Art Group
- The group has been going for over 25 years.
- It started as a drop-in centre for one of the evening classes attached to Hastings Boys High School.
- When the evening classes closed down, it was decided to keep going as a drop-in centre/informal art group.
- It meets on Monday mornings in St Matthew’s Church Hall with a group of people who enjoy a relaxed morning’s painting and each other’s company.
- Gillian Paterson: 06 873 3146
TukiTuki Art Collective
- A group of artists who are serious about having fun creating.
- Meeting fortnightly in each other’s homes as well as attending exhibitions etc together.
- 06 856 5577
Waipukurau Combined Arts and Crafts Inc.
- An art group reborn.
- A group of enthusiastic local CHB artists meet informally each Monday from February to November to draw and paint in the Waipukurau Arts and Crafts rooms, Coughlan Rd., Waipukurau.
- It is about 20 years since painters were actively involved in the club, although other groups such as quilting, embroidery, weaving and pottery have been meeting continuously.
- Members of the group enjoy working in a relaxed social atmosphere without the interruptions encountered when trying to be creative at home.
- The rooms are open from 10 am. Tea and coffee are available. People take their own lunch/snacks and stay as long as they wish each Monday.
- In 2011, the first year of the new group, two one-day workshops with tutor Richard Moorhead have been held.
- Joy Reid: 06 858 9540
- Janice Thompson: 06 858 8978